What if I only want to come to the US to test the waters and secure funding?

Foreign nationals may enter the US under a business visitor's visa (B-1) for the purpose of laying the foundation for a new business venture and securing funding. The B-1 visa does not permit the performance of labor for hire, so compensation must come from a foreign source. The stay must also be temporary and the visitor be prepared to demonstrate that he maintains a permanent residence abroad he has no intention of abandoning.