I am in the midst of adjusting status from an H-1b visa to employer sponsored permanent residence and I need to travel outside the country. Can I do so?

Yes, but you must obtain advance parole from USCIS before leaving the country, which is liberally granted. Leaving the US during an adjustment of status is deemed a withdrawal of the petition requiring the process to start over again.